Gregor's Room


In-Process Photos



Final Solution

This piece is inspired by Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis, an allegorical story of transformation. I used paper pulp to create a bed frame, boxspring, mattress, pillows, blanket, and alarm clock. I also created an abstract interpretation of the character Gregor. For the blanket, I crumpled up a piece of paper and fringed the edges, then painted it with ink to create a mottled effect. For the pieces of the bed I used containers and pressed the paper pulp into them like molds, to make compact shapes. I chose to use muted color palette for the inks because I wanted the items to feel old and worn out. I represented Gregor with a small green cube because I wanted to simplify his existence. I thought because the story is metaphorical, it would make sense if Gregor's appearance was too. I chose to make this decision because the story deals a lot with outward appearances and I wanted to make a commentary on the idea of appearance versus reality- things are not always what they seem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Touch Assignment